What’s Up with Donald Trump
I’ve been avoiding writing something on Donald Trump for a long time, even though students, friends and co-workers from outside the U.S. keep asking me if this is for real. Does this guy really have a chance? A few have thought that Trump was actually some sort of bizarre joke.
I haven’t written anything about it yet in part because I haven’t known exactly how to explain the Trump phenomenon. Also, Trump gets a ridiculous amount of attention already, and I hate to add to it. But the video I’m using this week is just too funny to ignore.
Whether or not you like him as the next president (just to be honest, I don’t) you have to admit that he’s been a master of attracting free media attention. His campaign has done next to no advertising, yet he’s easily the best known candidate for the 2016 elections.
You’ve probably heard some his more controversial statements. He’s proposed banning all muslims from entering the United States, he’s proposed somehow making all 11 million undocumented immigrants leave, he’s insulted women, and a disabled reporter.
So why do people still like him? Why is he doing well in the polls? The video below makes an hilarious attempt at answering this question. Watch the video, then see if you can complete the listening exercise in comments.
Vocabulary: A couple words to help you out.
GOP – Another name for the Republican Party, the political party for which Trump wants to be nominated.
Focus Group – A demographically diverse group of people that participate in a guided discussion about a political campaign, product, television series, etc.
Single Out – To choose a person or group of people from a larger group for special attention.
Answer the questions below in comments, and we’ll respond.
- What is the big question?
- Why does the report ask, “That’s a good thing?”
- What does he mean when he says, “Just so we’re on the same page.”
- Do you want a president in there that really ____ __ ______.
- What does the sentence above mean?
- What do you think of the “vast majority” conversation?
- Why is the statement, “He’s not singling out this group because of their religous beliefs” so strange and funny?
- At last we had reached _____ ____. Even some Trump supporters can’t ____ ___ ___ ___ why people support Donald Trump.
- What do the expressions in the above sentence mean?
- Why do you think Trump is so popular?