The United States Elections – English Listening Exercise
So, unless you live somewhere without electricity or internet service (in which case, how are you reading this?) you’ll have heard the the United States reelected President Barack Obama to a second term.
As is the tradition in the United States, (and most countries that elect their politicians, I imagine) the president gave a victory speech. We’ve decided to create a listening exercise out of it for you.
Here is the video of his speech. You’ll find questions below.
After you listen, try to answer the questions below. If you write your answers in comments, we will correct them.
- What does Obama talk about perfecting at the beginning of the speech?
- We have ____ ourselves __, we have _____ our way ____ , and we know in our hearts that for the United States of America, the ____ is ___ to ____.
- Why does he say, “By the way, we have to fix that” at about 4:40?
- Whether you ______ the pavement or ____ __ the phone.
- What does first phrasal verb in question 5 mean?
- I have always believed that hope is ___ _____ ____ ____ ___ ___ _____, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us.
- What do you think of the elections? What do you think they mean for your country?