Sympathy or Empathy? English Listening Exercise
I like this video because it touches one of the most important parts of our lives, human relationships. How do we deal with other people’s life struggles? What is the difference between Empathy and Sympathy? She has a funny way of explaining the difference.
The video also has some good English vocabulary and phrases, including “at least.” Although, she argues that it isn’t a good way to relate to people and I agree it is an important phrase in English to understand and be able to use.
Watch the video and do the exercise:
1. What does she say is the difference between empathy and sympathy?
2. Who is Teresa Wiseman?
3. What are the four qualities of an empathetic person?
4. I’m _________, it’s dark and I’m __________.
5. Ooh, it’s bad down there, no? You want a _______?
6. Why is empathy scary? What do you have to do to connect with people?
7. Empathy rarely begins with ‘__ ______’
8. We are trying to put a ______ ________ around it. What does that phrase mean?
Writing: What do you do when someone you know tells you about a difficult situation? Are there times when you can’t be empathetic? Why?