Switch Off – Phrasal Verb of the Day
Today’s phrasal verb of the day is: Switch Off
Infinitive form: Switch Off
Present Tense: Switch Off/ Switches Off
ing form: Switching Off
Past tense: Switched Off
Past Participle: Switched Off
Switch Off is a separable English phrasal verb. It is used in the context written below:
When you change the controls of a mechanical device such as light switch, and stop it from doing something. It is synonymous to “Turn Off”. The antonym of this phrase is “Turn On” or “Switch On”
1. Leizyl can’t sleep with the lights on, so she makes it a point to switch the lights off before she goes to bed.
2. It’s a good thing indeed, that Jean had switched off the fire alarm before everyone starts to panic. After all, there wasn’t any fire at all.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/Ucl39bzzd-M?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Exercises: Write your answers in comments and we will correct them.
Fill in the gaps from the video above:
“I must ____ ___ the appliances. My employees are most anxious about the size of their footprint.”
Based on the short clip, why is there a sense of urgency? What’s happened?
Complete the sentences below with the correct form of Switch Off.
1.”I don’t believe in monsters!” says Eric. “Oh yeah? So why do you freak out when I start ____ the lights ___?” asks his sister.
2. “Well, I thought I saw something!” Eric replied. “I’ll leave the lights on, then. You can ____ them ___ when you’ve calmed down, okay?” his sister said.
3. Eric thought that it would be a good idea to sleep with the lights on, so he ____ ___ the main light but kept his bedside lamp on.
4. Don’t just press the power button to ____ the computer ___. It helps if you shut it down properly by pressing the “Shut Down” button.
5. Did you know that you can reset or powercycle your phone by ____ it ___ for a few minutes, then turning it back on?
Change the example sentences above to negative sentences (or positive, if the sentence is already negative). Then change them to questions.