Past Simple or Past Continuous
Today you’ll test your knowledge of past simple and past continuous in English. Remember, we use past simple to talk about:
- Completed action in the past: I did my homework last night.
- Series of completed actions: I did my homework, cooked dinner, and watched TV.
- Duration of completed past action: I lived in Medellín for 4 months.
- Past habits or hobbies: I played the saxophone in primary school.
We use past continuous to talk about:
- Interrupted action in the past: I was sitting in the library when my phone rang.
- Specific time in the past: At 4:30pm yesterday I was jogging.
- Two actions at the same time: You were riding your bike while I was jogging.
- Describe the mood/tone: When I arrived at the hospital she was coughing, and several nurses were running around.