Listening Exercise: Downton Abbey
This week’s listening exercise is using Downton Abbey, the popular British drama. The speech in this montage is quite a challenge and is really interesting. Although, I don’t think you will hear this type of English a lot these days, the dialect is still similar to modern British English. If you really want to challenge yourself and your English listening abilities try this short exercise.
1. I’m ______ Tom’s small talk is very small indeed.
2. If I were to search for logic I _________ not look for it among the English upper class.
3. What a ________, I thought we might be in for something dreadful.
4. Guilt has never played a ________ part in my life.
5. I wonder your _________ doesn’t grow heavy, it must be like wearing a ______round the clock.
6. I’ve no ________ said yes, then you come back with another request.
7. The _____ thing we don’t want is a ________ in the family.
Have you seen Downton Abbey? What is your favorite series? Why? Does your country have good series? Do you normally watch your favorite series on TV or on your computer?