Listening Exercise: DIY Centrifuge
Today you’ll see an interesting video about how scientists have made a medical tool out of a simple children’s toy. It’s amazing to see how they’ve solved the problems that prevent many remote villagers from receiving medical care-cost and electricity. Take a look at the short video, and strengthen your listening comprehension with the questions that follow.
- Scientists ____ ____ paper and string to make a centrifuge that could be used for medical tests in remote locations.
- Question #1 used present perfect for which of the following reasons?
- change over time
- incomplete, expected action
- But centrifuges are _____________ bulky and expensive and need to be plugged in.
- What else needs to be plugged in?
- In the quest for an affordable, electricity-free centrifuge, scientists ____ previously ____ use of a salad spinner, but this design is relatively slow.
- To make use of is a phrasal verb that means to use something for your own purpose. What have you made use of today?
- Now, scientists at Stanford ____ ____ ________ by a simple children’s toy.
- What can the centrifuge be made out of?
- What have you been inspired by recently?
- They studied the mechanics of the toy to work out how to achieve the _______ possible spin.
As always if you write your answers in comments we’ll correct them for you and even give you an explanation!