Hackschooling and LOI English
What do you want to be when you grow up? Is this is a common question in your country? What do you think the term ‘hackschooling’ means? Do you think happiness and health are part of your country’s goals for education? Does homeschooling, unschooling, or hackschooling exist in your country?
LOI English’s classes are a perfect tool for the ‘hackschooling’ movement (our Spanish classes are too). We allow people to access high quality education without the normal boundaries of place and time, and all students get to move at their own pace.
The video below is a very popular TED talk about hackschooling, given by a 12-year-old who is taking an unusual approach to his own education, with help from his parents. Watch the video and see if you can answer the questions.
Answer the questions in comments and we’ll respond.
- What answers do adults hope for when they ask, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
- What is the best answer to this question?
- Education is important but why is being ______ and _______ not considered a part of education?
- What kind of scientist is Dr. Roger Walsh?
- What was the most popular TED talk of all time? Here is link to it on our website.
- It _____ a lot of people _____.
- The above phrasal verb means: a. To be excited about something. b. To be scared about something.
- What does he think being a “hacker” means?
- Why does he call his education “hackschooling?”
- What are the priorities for his education?
After listening to the talk do you think that he is getting the education he needs? Would you allow your children to do “hackschooling.” What would the challenges of this type of education be in your country? Would you be able to get into university?