How to Conjugate Stand Up
- Infinitive: Stand Up
- Present Tense: Stand Up/ Stands Up
- -ing Form: Standing Up
- Past Tense: Stood Up
- Past Participle: Stood Up
Definitions of Stand Up:
1. To rise from sitting or lying down to a vertical position.
Examples: I dislike standing up on the bus.
When a judge enters a courtroom, everyone must stand up until the judge is seated.
2. To defend something or someone.
Examples: You should always stand up for what you believe in.
The girl didn’t stand up to salute the flag during the national anthem.
3. To not arrive to an arranged meeting.
Examples: She thought he had stood her up, until he came around the corner.
It is in bad taste to stand people up.
See our complete list of English phrasal verbs.