How to Conjugate Lay Down
- Infinitive: Lay Down
- Present Tense: Lay Down/ Lays Down
- -ing Form: Laying Down
- Past Tense: Laid Down
- Past Participle: Laid Down
Definitions of Lay Down:
1. To place something on a surface or an object.
Examples: Please don’t lay your coat down on the couch.
He laid the Bible down on the table next to the photo of his late mother.
2. To create and implement a new policy, rule, etc.
Examples: The company had to lay down a few new rules after the incident.
The government lays down laws to benefit themselves, not the people.
3. To kill or to use force to make someone fall.
Examples: Evander Holyfield laid down Mike Tyson in the third round.
The soldiers were laid down in the ambush.
See our complete list of English phrasal verbs.