How to Conjugate Hold Against
- Infinitive: Hold Against
- Present Tense: Hold Against/ Holds Against
- -ing Form: Holding Against
- Past Tense: Held Against
- Past Participle: Held Against
Definitions of Hold Against:
1. When you don’t forgive or have little respect for someone because of something they did.
Examples: Don’t hold it against your father for not being in your life.
The man didn’t get the promotion, so he held it against his boss.
2. To force someone to stay involuntarily.
Examples: Hostages are held against their will so criminals can get ransom.
It’s so sad to see all the animals in the shelter held against their will because their owners abandoned them.
See our complete list of English phrasal verbs.